So I’ve been buying a lot of yarn from Ravelry destashes lately and noticed something odd. It’s that one Raveler who has a bunch of a coveted yarn in a gorgeous color marked “Will Trade or Sell” with a really great price and has been favorited by a ton of people.
And before I add it to my fave list or contact the Raveler, you have to wonder, ‘What gives? Why hasn’t this sold yet?’
Well, go click the person’s profile and check their last posting. Chances are they’re MIA. As in, they haven’t been on Ravelry for over 6 months or a whole year. So this person who sets up this impossible price, basically messes up the average selling price because often times, people who’re destashing use Ravelry destash prices as a reference point; not to mention the fact that they’ve wasted your time and disappointed you by giving you a brief, “OMG, I must buy that now!” thrill, just to let you down.
It’s been happening quite often and it’s kinda pissing me off. Why won’t you remove the yarn from the “For Sale or Trade” page even after the damn yarn’s been sold? Are you that lazy that you can’t do a few clicks of the mouse? I’ve seen something similar with folks who’re actually destashing. I’ve sent a PM just to get a reply that says “Oh, lots of people have been asking about that yarn but it’s been sold.” Really? Ok, so I offered a tip:
“Ah, ok. It might help if you marked it as PENDING or SOLD so you don’t get too many PMs asking about the same yarn.”
And their reply? “Well, sorry but I was really busy and didn’t have access to my computer.”
Don’t sound so annoyed, but what do you expect when you don’t change any of the status of the yarns you’re selling? And perhaps this isn’t the best time to be destashing on Ravelry if you’re gonna be busy and away from the computer? This same person left most of the yarn as is (yes, even those skeins that she specifically told me were sold), even after a whole week. Really. Not cool.
Now the other way around when you’re trying to destash. Those weird Ravelers who send you a single sentence PM that reads something like: “Do you still have X yarn?”
Ummm….yes? Do you want to buy it? Trade? Whaddaya want? Of course I send them a reply never to hear back from them again. What was that all about?
Or, how about that Raveler who wants to buy something but strings you along for over a week or two, just to tell you they don’t want it anymore? Gee, thanks.
Without further ado, my tips n tricks for buying from destashes:
- State clearly what yarns you want to buy/trade (name, color, # of skeins and price)
- Ask for their Paypal info so you don’t have to send another PM asking about it
- Send it as Goods and Services so they can print out labels directly from Paypal (postage discount for the seller, which should basically cover the Paypal fee)
- Send the money as soon as possible and make sure to send them a PM saying you’ve sent the money (sometimes the Paypal email gets buried under piles of junk mail and ads)
- Make sure to type in what yarn’s you’re paying for and your Ravelry id in the Notes section of your Paypal invoice.
- Leave a positive feedback in the feedback thread with a magic link to the seller’s id.
That’s it! Shop away! Grow your stash!